Thursday, March 26, 2009

3/23 Spicy Fajitas Recession Style

Earlier this week I made some fajitas following a Rachael Ray magazine article. Here it is:
Red Spice Steak Fajitas
8 flour tortillas
2-1/2 t. chilli powder
1/2 t. cayenne pepper
salt and pepper
1-1/2 lb sirloin steak
2 T. olive oil
2 bell peppers, cut into strips
3 bunches scallions, cut into 2 inch lengths
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 c. cilantro sprigs
1. Wrap the tortillas in foil, place in the oven and heat to 300.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the chili powder, cayenne, and 1/2 t. each salt and pepper; sprinkle all over the steak. Heat a large cast-iro9n skillet over medium heat. Add 1 T. oilve oil and steak, tent with foil and cook for 4 minutes on each side for medium-rarel trasnfer to a cutting board, tent twith foil and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
3. In same skillet, and the remaining 1 T. oilve oil, the bell peppers, scallions, and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add the steak along with any juices and the cilantro and toss. Serve with warmed tortillas.
When I went shopping, I found that sirlion steak was a bit more than other kinds. So I bought a round steak on sale, and marinated it in red wine to make it more tender. I ran out of chili powder, so I used what I had and hoped it was enough. I also did not have 3 bunches of scallions, so I used one.
I didn't understand what tenting the foil was all about, plus I was bad this time and didn't read the recipe correctly or something. I cut my steak up before putting it in the skillet, but it cooked fine, and I covered with foil after it was done cooking.
I also warm my tortillas up in a microwave so I don't heat up the whole house for no reason. Put them between paper towels and warm for 20 seconds.
My husband loved these, but I found the cayenne way too much for my tolerance.

No comments:

Post a Comment