Wednesday, February 25, 2009

2/23/09- Greek Baked Pasta


When it is time for something different, I grab a food magazine. So here is one from FOOD AND WINE... called Greek Baked Pasta. The recipe can be found at:
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/greek-baked-pasta
I learned three things (again) making this:
1) don't skimp on things like marinara sauce when it makes up 50% or more of the recipe
2) don't get the husband to buy said marinara sauce, he will always buy the cheapest
3) don't get husband to go to store for a few extra items when he has his mind on "more important things"
I know this is kind of a blog about cooking cheaper, but come on. You want that sauce in your baked pasta to taste good right? My husband bought Kroger brand sauce, and I have to diss Kroger this time...sorry your sauce did not taste good.
And I will admit, my husband bought buffalo meat instead of lamb because Kroger was not selling any ground lamb that day. People, ground buffalo is nothing more than expensive ground beef. So if you can't get the lamb, first of all I wouldn't cook this recipe (unless you want to improvise with more spices). But if you do, use the ground beef! It is $3-4 cheaper!
Therefore this recipe was ok, but we gave it two thumbs down. Feel free to try it anyways with a mid-high range priced sauce and the right kind of meat because it would probably make a HUGE amount of difference.

1 comment:

  1. When you are home next month, remind me to make a copy of my Grisanti's Marinara Sauce recipe. This is the recipe from the Original Grisanti's Restaurant in Memphis. It make a ton of sauce, which you can freeze in individual containers, it's super easy, very nutritious, and best of all....CHEAP!

    However, it's a very long recipe, so I'll just make you a photocopy instead of typing it out. ;)

    ReplyDelete