Tuesday, March 3, 2009

3/3/09 Chicken and Dumplings


An old recipe handed down through the generations is called an herloim recipe. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has been collecting and publishing these old recipes every week. I decided today to cook a comfort meal of chicken and dumplings, the first time I have ever attempted to make them. The recipe is here:


I served this with mashed sweet potatoes flavored with honey and cinnamon. I was going to serve peaches as well for dessert, but we were too full to eat any! This is also a family friendly meal, my son is 15 months and ate at least half a Denby bowl of it.
Eric gave this "two big thumbs up." I gave it an ok because I thought it was a little bland. I would make it again, though, perhaps with some herbs de provence or something to give it more flavor.
Share an heirloom recipe and honor a loved one: Go to ajc.com/food, and under Recipe Restoration Project ,click on Submit Yours and fill out the form. Or e-mail it to savingsouthernfood@gmail.com. Or mail it to Southern Recipe Restoration Project, c/o Food Editor Jamila Robinson, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 72 Marietta St. N.W., Atlanta, GA 30303.

No comments:

Post a Comment